As you are no doubt aware by now, the IMO Legal Committee, at its 103rd session in June, extended the Correspondence Group’s mandate until it’s next session, currently scheduled for April 2017. However, the mandate of the Correspondence Group has been limited to the following three items:
The terms of reference for the HNS Correspondence Group are as follows:
- to develop three specific items:
- presentation on HNS Incident Scenarios (PowerPoint) for approval by the Committee;
- draft resolution on implementation and entry into force of the 2010 HNS Protocol; and
- programme for a workshop for consideration by the Committee.
- to report to the 104th session of the Legal Committee.
Work on the first item, the HNS Incident Scenarios is well underway and will be in line with the outline that was approved by the Legal Committee and presented in document LEG103/3/2.
It is expected that a draft PowerPoint presentation will be ready for circulation within the Correspondence Group by the end of September. I also expect to be able to advance drafts of the other two items before the end of the 2016 calendar year. We will also continue to the HNS Blog as part of our communications.
Thank you again for your continued interest on the HNS Convention and I look forward to working with you.