I am pleased to send you this first email message as Coordinator of the HNS Correspondence Group formed at the 101st session of the IMO Legal Committee during the week of April 28-May 2.
HNS Correspondence Group Terms of Reference:
The Correspondence Group was approved with the following Terms of Reference:
- to provide a forum for an exchange of views concerning HNS implementation issues and to monitor and inform the implementation process in States;
- to provide, with a view to encouraging early entry into force of the 2010 HNS Convention at a global level, and for the benefit of both potential States Parties and affected industries seeking a coordinated approach to ratification, accession or acceptance, guidance and assistance on issues regarding the implementation and operation of the Convention such as, but not limited, to:
- the collection of information on contributing cargo, the development of appropriate reporting and verification systems, and the contribution system in accordance with the Guidelines on reporting of HNS contributing cargo;
- the acceptability of insurance or other financial security for the purpose of article 12 of the 2010 HNS Convention;
- assisting the IOPC Fund 1992 with the development of the various documents and decisions required for the first sessions of the HNS Assembly, in accordance with resolution 1 on setting up the HNS Fund agreed to at the international conference which adopted the 2010 HNS Protocol; and
3. to report to the Legal Committee at its next session.
The Correspondence Group is to work over the next year on these issues and report back to the 102nd session of the Legal Committee on its progress. The main tasks over the next year are to continue to facilitate the entry into force of the 2010 HNS Convention through information exchanges and the sharing of best practices, provide any assistance to states in their national implementation of the Convention and to promote the ratification of the Convention. As with all Correspondence Groups, its results will depend on the contribution of its members and I invite you to use this opportunity to exchange views.